May 14, 2021

Right on Cue

One of my new favorite hobbies lately has been playing pool in league. I joined the American Poolplayer Association (APA) the end of 2019 due to the encouragement of my best friend, her husband and my boyfriend who have all been playing in league for years. Entering the APA and joining a 9-ball team, I would come in as a skill level 3 and win or lose to determine my long-term skill level. Being completely new to the sport, I quickly dropped down to a skill level 1 with a ton to learn. This allowed a lot of flexibility for the team though since we had a broad range of skill levels already on the team. 

I lost a TON at first, but that definitely made that first win extremely memorable. Eventually COVID-19 put a wrench in any social activities including pool league. One benefit we had was a pool table in the basement. I watched a bunch of intro videos and practiced nearly every weekend. When we came back to shooting league later in 2020, I was winning and bumped up to a skill level 2. Our team went through some changes as well and were now under a new name Right on Cue.

Once back to shooting full time in league, Right on Cue placed first during the "summer 2020" session. Unfortunately, we lost the first round of playoffs, however, since we had finished first in the session we advanced to regionals. Being a team full of friends outside of league, we were all really excited at our ticket to regionals. The winner of regionals then advances to go play in Las Vegas. While we have a couple months until our shot in regionals, we all decided we needed a logo design and t-shirts. After my busy catalog season at work, I got inspired and designed a logo.

In true fashion, I designed a logo based around a great typeface. Additionally, I came up with the concept of having the name be large and keep the pool concept subtle but still recognizable to those in league. "Right on Cue" references hitting the cue ball with right English, causing the cue ball to move differently after contact with the object ball than it would if you hit it straight on. Many instructor videos include diagrams of applying English with a red dot to signify where the tip of your cue should make contact with the cue ball. I wanted to include that concept subtly within the logo.

Initially I was thinking of using the "o" in "on" to represent the red dot. However, after several attempts, I couldn't quite get it to work or find the right font to pull off the concept. From there I focused on the dot of the "i" in "Right". Below is what I came up with.


Hopefully we can get these made up in time for regionals and have a successful weekend shooting! Until then, we'll be practicing weekly and having fun while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment