April 01, 2016

Dan Bromley Bell Helmet

Made some more progress with Dan Bromley's hand painted Bell helmet:


Overall this is really turning out well. The gloss black base coat that Colored Controllers hooked us up with is working seamlessly with the 1 Shot enamel over top. Part of me was concerned that when I use the brush cleaner (which I occasionally do to touch up any minor mistakes) it would take off the gloss black. Luckily that is not the case and when I clean up any mistakes it is perfect. I am really happy with how the hand painting is going. The final product will definitely have an imperfect look to it, but that's definitely the look I am going for. We live in a world where computers can generate perfect crisp line work and imagery, that it is nice to break out of the norm once and a while. The process and tactility aspects of painting are what make it so special. So if you are looking for a crisp, perfect product-this helmet design will not be to your liking. Often I enjoy embracing the hand drawn, hand painted, hand built culture in my work and this helmet is fitting in just nicely. Stay tuned to see more detail shots. Goal: to have this bad boy on the track in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment